November 7, 2013

This & That


  • We have had the most spectacular fall this year in Colorado! We get to enjoy the leaves turning twice as long as most states because the leaves turn in the mountains in late September and then they turn in the city all through October, so we get 6 weeks of amazing fall colors! Love it! The weather was really warm this fall too. Every week I've been out hiking and admiring the awesome beauty we're blessed with here! Now that wedding season is over for me, I actually have the time to stop and enjoy the slower pace of life. November is one of my favorite months because life's pace slows to a crawl and I get to enjoy some free time!

  • I almost burned down our house on Tuesday. I wish so badly that I was kidding, but I'm serious, my poor house was about 30 seconds from going up in flames. I was cooking dinner and had some oil heating on the stove. Well, the oil got a little too hot, too fast and it hit it's flash point and erupted into 4 foot flames. Seriously, the flames were inches from touching our kitchen ceiling. Yikes! Thankfully, I didn't freak out. In fact, probably by God's grace, David and I had just had a very random conversation about grease fires like a week ago. He specifically asked me "do you know what to do if you have a grease fire?" and I responded kinda nonchalantly, "yea, don't throw water on it and try to smother it with a lid or put ton of baking soda on it." So I managed to put a lid on it, but not before our house was engulfed with smoke and all our fire alarms went off. Awesome. Thank you Jesus for watching over me and not letting my house burn down!
Thankfully, this was the extent of the smoke damage, aside from some smoke marks that I need to get off the ceiling. Stainless steel surprisingly cleans up really well after grease fires. Good to know. ;)
  • We had our annual Christmas Picture Swap Extravaganza with our good friends in Wyoming last month. We did a super duper short session, maybe 15 minutes or so, but we managed to get some great pictures! I love this man so much :)
     
     
  • I don't know what got into me, but I ransacked our bathroom this morning and threw out just about every thing I have related to trying to get pregnant....primarily a ton of vitamins that we've been taking for the last 4 years that haven't really done either of us a bit of good (in the words of my dear friend Kim "did I really think an herb was going to knock me up?" hahahaha!). Don't misunderstand me, I know that various vitamins and herbs can be very beneficial for some people in terms of getting pregnant, we just aren't those people! I tossed in a few pregnancy tests, opks, syringes, saline and empty prescription bottles in the trash just for good measure ( I did keep all the expensive Menopur, progesterone and estrogen though...that was too hard to just toss!). And I gotta say, I feel 10 lbs. lighter after getting rid of all that stuff that's been by my side for the last 4 years. It was like throwing away 4 years of empty promises ("this vitamin is supposed to work wonders for estrogen regulation", "just use these opks twice a day and you'll be pregnant before you know it" etc.) and vain efforts. We'll never be done trying to get pregnant, we're just done trying so dang hard. And I have to say, I feel pretty great about it. 
  • We took one of my favorite hikes ever the other weekend. At first I wasn't into it at all because it was 2500 feet in elevation gain over the span of 3.5 miles, which is typically more than what I consider to be fun. But it was such a fun and rewarding hike (after I had a little hissy fit on some brutal switchbacks) and the views from the top were pretty amazing. David and I had a great time exploring, doing a little bouldering (this time without any debilitating rock slides) and enjoying our beautiful area. We're so lucky that this stuff is practically in our backyard!
 
 
  • Halloween was uneventful except for me judging all the bad parents in our neighborhood haha! No seriously, one mom didn't even blink as her son rudely pulled the entire candy bowl out of my hands and proceeded to take more candy than I said he could. A couple other kids literally came into my house and demanded to know where I was hiding the "good candy." Again, parents on my doorstep and they didn't even flinch. I know they say it's easy to judge parents when you're not one, but seriously?! We might be those people who turn out out lights next year and eat all the "good candy" in the dark watching a movie ;) I did enjoy Courtney's drinking game of taking a sip of wine each time the doorbell rang though ha! ;) 
  • Have you heard about the IF Gathering(and no, IF doesn't stand for infertility in this instance. Though that was my first reaction too...Infertility Gathering? What a weird name for a conference! ha!)? It's a conference that is going to be held in Austin this February by a bunch of amazing women of God seeking to answer the question..."If God is real, then what?" How does that impact this generation of women? How does that impact my faith, my calling in life, my relationship with others? How does that equip me to impact the world around me? It's lead by amazing people like Angie Smith, Anne Voskamp, Jennie Allen and Christine Caine to provide a real place for us to wrestle with deep questions and holy convictions in an environment of grace and humble openness. The 1,200 seat conference sold out within 42 minutes! So they have opened up another way for women around the country to attend. It's through IF Local, which are local gatherings of women who will be able to watch a live broadcast the conference going on in Austin. And I'm so excited to be a part of one here in CO! My friend Jenn had a big vision to host one of these local gatherings, to reach out to women who might want to come and provide a space for us all to be able to experience the amazing things God is going to do through this conference! She convinced me to join a team of women to help her plan it, and I couldn't be more excited to see what God does in the upcoming weeks as we seek to find a venue, get the word out and help it all come together! And also, I'm slightly terrified ;)



7 comments:

Amanda said...

That is SO cool about the IF:Local... I really want to do it, but don't have a great space. Maybe I can convince a friend to let me "help" if she lends her home.

I'm out of my mind jealous of the AWESOME fall leaves... third photo from the top... geez, the Lord sure knew what he was doing when he made Colorado!

waitingforbabybird.com said...

I LOVE ALL OF YOUR PICTURES!! Gorgeous! Also, I totally agree with you and know the feeling of feeling 10lbs lighter. I threw away a $200 fertility monitor and a bunch of vitamins once too. I felt SOOO much better afterwards. That fertility monitor rarely gave me a "peak" and all it did was make me more frustrated month after month, as well as, make me doubt God. Not to mention the fact every time I looked at the monitor or saw the vitamins I had an icky feeling in my stomach. I had so much more peace after I got rid of it all. It was almost as if I could see God smile at me. I am not saying God doesn't want or use those things but for me I had an icky feeling...no peace. I figured if it was something He wanted me to use then I wouldn't feel like crap every time I saw it. Make sense? I am believing with you! You will soon have your own bundle of joy! Keep the faith :)

Caroline said...

Seriously, your pictures always make me want to move there!!! So scary about the almost fire, I had no idea what to do, so glad you told us!! So glad you and the house is ok! Um, hello that IF Local sounds amazing, all those speakers including CC - can't get any better then that! So glad you threw all that away, such a good feeling!!! PS if you haven't checked out God's Plan for Pregnancy, I'm a strong believer that everyone needs to read it - it's AMAZING, and I hope if you do read it, you find it encouraging. There is a link to it on the right side of our blog! hugs and happy friday!

Courtney said...

Wasn't the drinking game a perfect way to get through the night? I ended up having 2 and a half glasses of wine and was in a great mood by the end. =)

bellehavendrive said...

What a great post, Becky! Thank you for sharing all of this. I don't blame you for throwing out all your TTC stuff. I did that after my third failed IVF (but kept the photos of my embryos). It is refreshing. Okay, the Halloween antics? I'm right there with you; they say don't judge parents when you're not one yet, but seriously???

Jenn @ Munchkin Land said...

Bwahaha! I love you! And I thank you for putting up with my crazy shenanigans like planning a gathering for IF. ;) You are a true friend.

Christine said...

First of all, YIKES! I'm SO glad your house didn't burn down and that you reacted so quickly and were kept safe!
It has been an exceptionally beautiful fall this year! I've enjoyed the weather and colors more than most falls in the past.
I always love how your pictures turn out with you and David! I especially love #3 and #4

About Me

My Photo
Hi friends, my name is Becky and this is my journey through running a photography business, being a loving wife, 4+ years infertility, traveling and adventuring with my dear husband, following hard after Jesus and seeking out joy in every area of my life. I'm glad you're here!

Followers

Contact

Click here to send me an email.

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2014 • All Rights Reserved