November 19, 2013

2 Week Wait

Hahaha, no this is a different kind of 2ww, I'm in no way shape or form waiting to see if I'm pregnant, I already know the answer to that question this month. ;)

7 years ago, 2 weeks before my wedding, my dermatologist had urgently requested that I have a few biopsies done on suspicious moles. The biopsies were invasive, required stitches and (to my horror) were visible when I put my wedding dress on. But the worst part was the phone call I got just 5 days before my wedding "It's cancerous. We found melanoma in the biopsy on your leg and you need to come in for surgery right away." I wasn't about to reschedule my wedding or honeymoon, so 2 days after we got back from Aruba I went in for surgery and walked away a melanoma-free woman.

Since then, I've lost count of how many biopsies I've had done. For the first 3 years, I had to go in every 6 months to be rechecked and they took biopsies almost every time. I think I've had at least 10 done by now. For a while, it felt like every time I went to the dermatologist, they got the scalpel out.

But the last 4 years have been quiet. My visits to the dermatologist have been rather uneventful, no biopsies, no scalpels. Just a pat on the back and a "you're good to go, see you in a year" as I breeze out the door.

And then Friday rolled around. I have had a suspicious mole on my neck that we've been keeping an eye on for about 4 years. The doctors have always told me, "if it changes at all, even a little, come in immediately." And so on Friday, when it started to bleed and hurt, I called my doctor and made an appointment to be seen yesterday. Bleeding is one of the biggest signs of melanoma, especially in a patient who has a history of melanoma.

So I went yesterday to get checked out. The biopsies (she did one on my back as well) were quick and relatively painless. And now we wait for 2 weeks for the results to come in.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared. I've been through this process a lot, but this is the first time in a long time that I'm actually worried. I guess because I've had this mole for years and years, and if it is cancerous, I fear that it could be more than just stage1 melanoma. And I really don't want to have surgery on my neck, I just really don't want to do that. It totally freaks me out.

But I suppose there's no use in worrying about anything until I know the results for sure. And so I'll wait. And I'll pray. And I'll remind myself that I've been through this before and I have a mighty and powerful God working on my behalf. And that in the end, everything will be ok.

Can I just use this post for a little soapbox moment? If you have never had a dermatologist or doctor do a skin check for skin cancer on you, DO IT!!! Especially if you ever used tanning beds, were sunburned as a child, have a family history of skin cancer, have fair skin or have repeated exposure to long periods of sun. This isn't just a problem for fair skinned people like me. And early detection is crucial! The absolute last thing you want to do is not catch melanoma in time. My mom had a friend who passed away from melanoma a few years ago because they didn't catch it in time and it spread into her lymph nodes. So please do me a favor and have yourself checked out! You can even request your PCP do it at your annual exam. Do it for me. Do it for your husband and your family. Do it for yourself. Pretty please? With a cherry on top? :)

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Definitely saying some extra prayers for you Becky! Hopeful that you'll get an "all clear"! My mom had skin cancer, and I like a ninny, use to lay in tanning beds... until her diagnosis, but I always worry. I hate that waiting game too... the whole, "call us if it changes" I want to scream, "just take it!!!" So sorry you're going through this! Praying for great results!

Aubrey said...

I'm saying lots and lots of prayers for you for good results! Please keep us posted. xoxo

Caroline said...

Girl!!! Please keep us posted. That is scary, but God is our healer! Believing in good results. I am SO glad that you made this announcement, I totally agree - I go in every 6 months and think it's SO important - that is stuff you don't mess around with!!! Hoping this post opens the eyes of others who read it xoxo

Elisha Kearns said...

It has been over 4 years since I went to my dermetologist (we moved and so I never found another one) but you have inspired me to find one and have a good "look over" :) I am praying for good results. I love the verse Psalm 112:7 which says, "They do not fear bad news; they confidently trust the LORD to care for them." Remember that no weapon formed against you will prosper so no matter what the results are, with God by your side it will not prevail :) Keep us updated.

Christine said...

Oh Becky! I'll be praying! I love that verse above that Elisha put in her comments. Lean on that truth! God is on your side. Love you friend and keep us posted!

Amie said...

I have been thinking of seeing a dermatologist so this might be just the push I needed. Keeping you in my prayers for everything to turn out ok.

bellehavendrive said...

Oh sweet heart. :( I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I hope everything is okay and the doctor can just remove it to be safe. I've had a few of these scares myself (red head, fair skin); they're just not fun. Thanks for getting the word out about getting checked! I'm on the once-a-year plan. Lord knows I obsessively check. Oh, the joys of our porcelain skin, right?

Candace said...

Hi Becky! Hope all has turned out okay! Wanted you to know I nominated you for a Sunshine Award! Check it out: http://theloveliestway.blogspot.com/2013/12/sunshine-award-for-me.html

About Me

My Photo
Hi friends, my name is Becky and this is my journey through running a photography business, being a loving wife, 4+ years infertility, traveling and adventuring with my dear husband, following hard after Jesus and seeking out joy in every area of my life. I'm glad you're here!

Followers

Contact

Click here to send me an email.

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2014 • All Rights Reserved