October 22, 2013

Devil's Thumb Ranch

"Sometimes as photographers we try to capture other peoples stories and we forget to tell our story. You know your story the best. Your story matters too... " A friend of mine posted this on Facebook today and it really spoke to me! I was thinking the exact same thing this weekend. David and I were photographing our last big wedding of the year and we spent soooo much time and energy working to tell my our client's story. It made me wish that we documented our own story of the weekend with as much passion and attention.

Because really, this weekend was really special for me. It signified a huge milestone for my business and I just felt the need to reflect on that. Ever since I started my photography business, I have known about Devil's Thumb Ranch. I've always felt like, if I could just photograph a wedding at DTR, I could die a happy girl. It's this amazing guest ranch up in the mountains. It's like a little town within itself. It has restaurants, a coffee shop, spa, a little grocery store, hiking trails, lakes, cabins, fire pits, nightly s'more roasting, library, theater...the list goes on.
And they also happen to be one of the most exclusive wedding venues in the state of Colorado. They put on magnificent events here. The backdrop is jaw-dropping for wedding ceremonies and receptions are amazing, held in a restored barn from the 1800's. I almost got a wedding there about 3 years ago, but they bride decided to hire another photographer. :( So when a lovely bride named Erin emailed me 9 months ago and said she wanted to hire me for her Devil's Thumb Ranch wedding, I could hardly contain my excitement. Finally!

The wedding day couldn't have been more amazing. The weather was great, my clients were great, the wedding went smoothly. And afterwards, as I walked out of the barn under an open sky full of stars, I breathed a heavy sigh of relief, thankful that a huge professional goal of mine had just been accomplished. What a blessing!
David and I had the opportunity to spend the entire weekend up there at the ranch. So on Sunday, we woke up early and grabbed some breakfast and coffee and went exploring. We walked all over the grounds of the ranch, hand in hand. It was one of the best mornings I've had in a long time. It was so nice to just be all bundled up, sipping coffee, talking about life with my love while enjoying the beauty around us. 

We saw horses and cabins tucked away in the woods. Beautiful lakes reflecting the surrounding mountains, creeks and old run down logging shelters used decades ago. We even got to see a horse drawn wagon pass by. Eventually it started snowing, so we headed back home. But it really was a weekend to remember. My heart is just so full of gratitude. To spend a whole weekend at such an incredible place, I just feel so grateful that I get to do this!
 I definitely want to go back to Devil's Thumb Ranch! It's pricey, so it would probably have to be something we do for a special occasion, but it's on my list of places I want to see again for sure!


10 comments:

Aubrey said...

GORGEOUS pictures!

Elisha Kearns said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elisha Kearns said...

I love your pictures!

Christine said...

Beautiful photos as always!
I really like the pics of you and David and the one with the horse.
I love the quote at the beginning too.

Caroline said...

Gorgeous!!! How exciting Becky!!!

Elle said...

I went to Devil's Thumb a couple of years ago and it was STUNNING! I'm not even a photographer by any means but I got this gorgeous picture of a horse running through the picture. So pretty!

Penne said...

Hi- thanks for all your comments about the Ranch and sharing your beautiful photos. (I work there!) If you sign up for the newsletter on the front page of our website, we will add you to our list of folks who get special offers and discounts...so you won't have to wait for a special occasion to come back!

rach said...

What a beautiful location, I can see why you were so excited to shoot there! Glad you guys could enjoy some time together! :)

rach said...

(And this is Rachel from Austin!) :)

Betty said...

Hi there! I just stumbled upon your blog...and am so glad that I did! My husband and I actually worked at Devil's Thumb Ranch five years ago....it is so beautiful there! Whenever we find ourselves in Fraser/WP, we always visit (although we don't stay there...it is pretty expensive!).

About Me

My Photo
Hi friends, my name is Becky and this is my journey through running a photography business, being a loving wife, 4+ years infertility, traveling and adventuring with my dear husband, following hard after Jesus and seeking out joy in every area of my life. I'm glad you're here!

Followers

Contact

Click here to send me an email.

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2014 • All Rights Reserved