My This&That beauty edition made me realize I wanted to do a regular This&That because there were so many things I wanted to add, but couldn't because...well, then it wouldn't have been a beauty edition. So here we go with a "normal" one...
- I don't know why I've never thought of this before (thanks Pinterest!), but I'm currently in love with this amazing combo of chopped apples, melted peanut butter, chocolate chips and I add a few raisins too. Next time I might even get crazy and add coconut! There's just something about it, I can't get enough. I suppose you could just cut it into slices and spread everything on each slice, but something about chopping the apple makes it better....probably because there is more surface area of each bit to be smothered in peanut butter. Ha! I would post a recipe, but I bet you're smart enough to figure it out :)
- I'm officially on the essential oil bandwagon. No, I'm not selling them. No, I don't think they're a magic cure-all for every ailment that ever existed. No, they don't work for me every time. Now that all that is out of the way, I will say that I'm really excited about them and have already seen some cool benefits! I originally looked into essential oils as a natural way to help me deal with my vertigo and the anxiety that vertigo produces in me. I'm not prone to anxiety, but when it looks like the walls in your house are tilting and you can't ever seem to find a straight horizon...anxiety is bound to creep up. So far I have: Lemon, Lime, Peppermint, Lavender, Cedarwood, On-Guard, a Focus blend and an Anxiety blend (aka liquid Xanax). I've had the most relief from Lavender for headaches and Peppermint for mild vertigo. I'll be honest, nothing can touch the crazy vertigo spells but Peppermint certainly helps when I feel just a little bit "off". I even got a cool little diffuser to bring to CA with me! It's all a big experiment at this point, but I like what I see so far!
- The countdown is on to California! 3 weeks until we leave! At this point, I feel virtually no fear about the surgery itself. That's a pretty big change from where I was just a month ago when I felt like fear was swallowing me up. I've had a lot of time to think, pray and rest in God's assurance that He lead us to UCLA and He will bring me through this. I'm mildly apprehensive about recovery. I've never been through this before and I have no idea what my recovery will be like. But I do know that God is faithful and powerful and His presence will never leave me and that helps immensely. I've been compiling a list of Scriptures to read and a great playlist of worship music to listen to. Even if my world is upside-down, I know God's truth will ground me.
- I can't tell if God is just being ironic or this is a sign that everything will be ok, but I've been having a crazy flood of prospective clients lately. I typically get 100 inquires per year from prospective clients (that's not my booking rate, just inquiries). This year, I'm on track to have triple that number. Bananas. The Denver Post published a fun elopement article a while back, featuring some of my work so maybe some of these people read it, but aside from that I have no clue why I've had such an increase in activity! The sad thing is that virtually everyone who contacts me is getting the standard response of "Thank you so much for contacting me! At this time, due to unforeseen medical circumstances, I am not able to accept any new clients for 2015...." I've lost soooooo much income by turning away these lovely brides, it's painful. Regardless, I am 150% confident that God will provide, He already has in so many way! This will be a light year for sure. But it will be good so that I can focus on healing. God has everything planned out already.
- Can we talk about the season finale of The Bachelor for a sec? YAY! I was kind of always secretly hoping Whitney would be "the one." Maybe it's because she's a fertility nurse and she reminds me of all the wonderful nurses I worked with at Dr. B's office. Maybe it's because she was one of the only sane girls on this season. Oh, I also really loved her choice of pink lipstick...it was like every time she was on camera, she chose a killer shade of pink and I have to give her props for that! Regardless, the finale made me happy last. Now as for having 2 bachelorettes for next season...I'm not so sure about that. I'll hold off on making a judgement until I actually see the first episode :)
- I've been taking lots of beautiful drives lately. It's no secret that I LOVE driving (hence my love for road trips and my secret desire to be a truck driver), there's something about it that calms me. I love listening to music, looking at the scenery, praying...it's wonderfully restorative. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's where I overcame a lot of my fear about surgery. God met me on some of those winding mountain roads and I'm so very grateful.